Mayor of Halton Region reiterates call for reopening of outdoor activities – Hamilton

0

Burlington Mayor Marianne Meed Ward continues to urge the provincial government to “follow the science”.

It’s now a full week since she joined mayors across Halton Region, as well as Regional President Gary Carr, in drafting a letter calling for a safe reopening of outdoor activities in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Their joint statement said that safe outdoor activities, with physical distancing and masking precautions in place, are “necessary support for physical and mental health, especially during this prolonged period of lockdown.” .

Read more:

Ontario could reopen more outdoor spaces even with stay-at-home order, science table adviser says

“We’re not in jail in our house,” Meed Ward said, “we’re allowed to go out into our quarters and get some fresh air and exercise.”

The story continues under the ad

Most of Burlington’s neighborhoods, she noted, “are within walking distance of any of these amenities, whether it’s a pickleball court or a basketball court, a court. sport”.

Meed Ward added that outdoor restrictions “disproportionately affect low-income and marginalized communities,” where residents may not have the same access to safe outdoor spaces.

“We’re all in the same storm, but we’re not in the same boat,” said Meed Ward. “Some people are drowning and some people are lucky enough to have a yacht.”

Last week, the province’s science advisers suggested that Ontario could safely reopen many outdoor recreation facilities even if it extends a stay-at-home order.

Read more:

Science suggests a low risk of outdoor transmission of COVID-19. here’s why

The story continues under the ad

The scientific director of the COVID-19 Scientific Advisory Table of Ontario said outdoor activities like golf, tennis and beach volleyball are low risk as long as there is “no money. -unhappy products “of the activity.

“There is always a possibility of creating safe outdoor spaces as long as you actually prevent what the Prime Minister said about these parties, you know, do anything other than play golf and have a beer somewhere or whatever.” , Dr Peter Juni told Global News.

Juni was one of many science table members who disagreed with government closures Doug Ford which shut down some outdoor facilities used for the exercise.

The provincial stay-at-home order imposed last month shut down thousands of commercial and outdoor recreation facilities. While playgrounds have been allowed to open, sports fields, parks and other amenities remain off-limits.

The table suggested the restrictions would hurt some children and those without access to personal green space.

The statement from the Mayors and Regional President of Halton highlights that the guidance provided by the COVID-19 Scientific Advisory Table for Ontario, and endorsed by the Ontario Medical Association, encourages safe outdoor activities.

If the concern is with people gathering around outdoor facilities, Meed Ward added, “we can control that, we have physical distancing orders and arrest officers.”

The story continues under the ad


Click to play the video:







COVID-19: Doug Ford defends closure of outdoor landscaping in Ontario


COVID-19: Doug Ford defends closure of outdoor landscaping in Ontario – May 12, 2021

See the link »


© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.